Exciting & Informative 15-minute TED-Like Talks! Plus, General Session Topics with Breakout Sessions!
3-4pm Don’t Reinvent the Wheel: Pharmacy Technicians Are Not Alone!
- Demonstrate similar ethical behaviors across high-risk/high-reliability professions in an attempt to learn from others’ positive experiences and avoid the negative experiences.
- Participants will discuss how personal experiences from other industries/professions influenced their current practice as a pharmacy technician.
- Participants will share experiences as a pharmacy technician with other members of the group in an attempt to strengthen professional networks for future information sharing.
4-5pm PDMPs and Pharmacy Technicians
- Describe the scope of the prescription drug overdose problem
- Discuss differences in prescription drug monitoring programs across the country
- Describe how pharmacy technicians use the prescription drug monitoring program to improve patient care
5-6pm Point-of-Care Testing: The Role of the Pharmacy Technician in the Post-Covid World
- Describe how COVID-19 has impacted the regulatory and practice landscape for pharmacy-based point-of-care testing.
- Explain how the changes impact the future of pharmacy-based point-of-care testing.
- Discuss the role of pharmacy technicians in pharmacy-based point-of-care testing after COVID-19.
6:30-7:30pm Social Hour
8am Members-Only Breakfast Club
8:30am-9:30 Creating a Culture of Value in the Pharmacy: Why is the pharmacy technician role such an integral part of the pharmacy?
- Describe the different ways in which pharmacy technicians support the overall pharmacy enterprise.
- Provide real world examples where pharmacy technicians have shined and excelled in dispensing error preventative workflow tasks that enhance patient care.
- Discuss the expanding roles of pharmacy technicians and how involvement in leadership roles gives opportunity to decrease medication error occurrence by propagating safe dispensing to their field.
9:30-10:30 Making the Case for Advanced Pharmacy Technicians
- Describe advanced roles for pharmacy technicians
- Understand current research regarding advanced pharmacy technician roles
- Summarize the regulatory landscape impacting pharmacy technicians’ education, training, and responsibilities
- Review the development of advanced pharmacy technician credentials
10:45-11:45 The Secret to Getting Ahead is Getting Started
- Summarize the legal requirements of pharmacy technician education
- Describe the learning experience from the leader’s/teacher’s point of view
- List the advantages of healthy competition in getting ahead
11:45-1pm Learning the Process of an Investigational Drug Service Pharmacy Technician
Recognition & Awards
Lunch & Vendor Hall
1-2 Without Fear or Favor
- At the completion of this continuing education topic, the attentive learner should be able to: Define what the phrase “Without Fear or Favor” means
- List at least (4) four events that must be exposed
- Feel an increased purpose with regard to ethical conduct
2-2:15 Administering Vaccine: Tried & True Tips
- List vaccination administration documentation needs
- Describe syringe dose preparation of the vaccine including stability and beyond use dating
- Summarize vaccination inventory and storage needs
2:15-2:30 Naloxone: A Life Saver
- Summarize current and upcoming mandates for naloxone prescribing
- Describe the mechanism of action (MOA) of naloxone
- List naloxone availability, dosage and formulations
2:30-2:45 It’s Your Time to Thrive
- Discuss the importance of self-care in maintaining well-being and curbing burnout.
- Examine the core tenets of well-being.
- Identify simple strategies that promote well-being when faced with life stressors and career challenges.
2:45-3 The Pharmacy Technician’s Role in COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Describe the clinical reasoning for pharmacy technicians to become certified to assist immunizing the public during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- List how to become a certified pharmacy technician immunizer.
- Recognize the future role of the pharmacy technician as an immunizer.
3:15-4:15 Breakout Sessions
Choice 1 Escape the Pharmacy: Do you have the skills?
- Develop teamwork and communication skills in a timed, interactive scenario.
- Perform clinical skills relevant to pharmacy technicians to achieve goals of the scenario.
- Interpret data and prescriptions to achieve the best patient outcomes.
Choice 2 HIV Antiretroviral Therapies: A Medication Class Review
- List available antiretroviral agents and describe the different formulations
- Describe the different storage and stability requirements for antiretroviral agents
- Explain the general approach in utilizing antiretroviral agents for treatment versus prevention in HIV infections
Choice 3 The Role of the Pharmacy in a Critical Access Hospital
- Define the characteristics of a critical access hospital
- List the main services provided by a critical access hospital pharmacy
- Summarize advantages and disadvantages of working in a critical access hospital pharmacy
4:15-5:15 Ensuring Patient Centered Care
- Discuss Partnering with the Patient: Pharmacy Team, Patient and Family Responsibilities
- Describe Multi-Team Systems: The importance of daily huddles, briefs and debriefs in Pharmacy
- Prepare and Practice: Communication Tools, Huddle Application and Expected Results
Schedule subject to change based on Convention needs